Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Sheeps on the hill - the two sides of my studio

We have moved into this appartment exactly one year ago and have decorated it very sparsely. There is not much room and you have to have places, where your eye can rest, i.e. empty walls:).

But I needed a window to nature somehow. Yesterday arrived the painting I bought from Cris in Oregon. It is what I needed and what this place needed.

My studio is tiny but big enough to hold (on it's left) a calm place. When I sit at my worktable, (on the right) I can swivel around on my high chair and look at the sheep on the hill. Then I can go and lay down in the grass with them, under the pinkblossoming tree:)

click to open




I just love the expression of this mom-sheep, Cris has captured it so well. The sheep were grazing guests on the field not far from her house, when it was still cold. She could see them every day for a while and shared her view with us. So, in a way, I know these sheep.



This, on the contrary, is the busy side of the studio, at the right. Here things can be creatively chaotic. So, when my mind needs to escape, I swivel and go back to the green hill:)

And, at last, a glimps into the living room:
Oscar is the living room's only decoration, there are way too many books and a monstruous beautiful deep old oak woardrobe, in which all my textile art supplies are stored away. There is the TV and the computer and the sofa. Oups, too many things. OK, the day I'll be rich and famous, I'll get a big studioloft somewhere, you bet. Oscar doesn't give a damn about anything, as long as he has his sofa and a tin of tuna on Sundays and, at times, a warm cosy lap to sit on and a human ear to purr into.


Copyright ©estandrea - All rights reserved
--------------------------------------------
NEWS

20 comments:

Genie said...

Hi Andrea, Oscar looks Really relaxed, Your Sheep painting on the wall is lovely

Andrea and Kim said...

Andrea, Cris' painting looks fantastic there on your wall. I know it is a wonderful and beautiful relief to have a look at that pastoral setting there in the middle of the city.

I am always amazed at being able to organize in such a small space. Americans, in general, are not good with this task, but we are learning.

Oh, I do like your work table...it looks so comfortable and peaceful there.

Thanks Andrea for this special little peek at the places and the items you enjoy each day. You are an inspiration.

Oscar looks so happy and so peaceful there in your living room!

Cris, Artist in Oregon said...

Well I finally got on to comment. What an Honor to have my Sheep painting hanging on your wall and to be so loved. It looks wonderful there. I feel a connection to You & Paris now. :)

Cris, Artist in Oregon said...

PS..This has to be the highest compliment on my work of all.
Bug Hug to you. :):):)
Oh and Kim is right. We Americans.. read MOI.. have a hard time organizing small spaces. Grimace. :)

soulbrush said...

just love your place, it's so chic. what a wonderful ho our for cris and a great buy for you. enjoy!

Peter J. Crowley said...

I want to be Oscar! Nice space, I'm working on a series of portraits without people just photos of their space. Love the painting Cris. Very peaceful. enjoy pjc

Anonymous said...

Andrea i think Oscar is a lovely decoration. You don't need more, although i love the painting.

Anonymous said...

Love the busy space because it is so much the way I live...and love the sheep and the idea of peacefully looking "out over the hill of sheep" when you need a rest. And that is one fat kitty cat! well-loved looking.

Lynn Cohen said...

I am just thrilled that the sheep have found their way to your beautiful home, Andrea.
They could not be in a better place.
I can just imagine how peaceful they make you feel.
And proof is that Oscar hiding his beautiful blue eyes has sunk into a peaceful slumber beneath them.
BAAAAA BAAAAAAA BAAAAAAAAA White Sheep! So happy for Cris and you for making this decision.

Unknown said...

Genie, hi, yes I think Oscar is often relaxed:) when he is not sitting on the balcony keepin' an eye on the flowers and the sparrows, or on the dinner table looking into our plates:)

Unknown said...

Kim, thanks for your comment on my workspace, and I love the "pastoral setting"! It sounds biblic, and peaceful, as it is:) I imagine that our confined spaces here in Paris (or at least those of most of the people:) would be difficult to live in for American's used to big houses and flats. I have always liked to adapt to knew spaces, once I loved in a very old huge house (it belonged to an old noble family:), there were 11 rooms. That was fun but I didn't use half of the rooms:) Now I'd love to have this space again, I'd put in an enourmous studio where I could paint BIG:) Well, we have to have dreams, don't we, and I love my tiny place, too,

Unknown said...

Cris, Baaaaaaaaa, Baaaaaaaaaaaa, Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa (thanks Lynn for teaching us how to write sheep language:)

Unknown said...

F.Y. thanks so much for your visit and comment, I'm glad you like the place and think it looks "chic":), that is a nice compliment and Oscar is thrilled too:)

Unknown said...

Peter! You want to be Oscar:) so you like sofas? You could come and take a picture of our matchbox appartment :)

Unknown said...

Martine, thanks for your comment, and yes, I think Oscar FEELS like a nice decoration too, a fluffy soft decorating cussion:)

Unknown said...

Tammy, thanks so much for coming, and your sweet comment, glad youlike the sheep, they give me something of the quiet charm of countryplaces, you must have that every day walking in your woods:) I'll be back on you blog soon for discovery, am short on time these days, love, Andrea

Unknown said...

Lynn, thanks for your poetic comment, and for instructions of use of sheep language:) Oscar sends his love to Henry:)

Chris Bolmeier said...

Your Kitty is so cute. The painting from Cris is great, it's just what
was needed.
Chris

marianne said...

Ohhhhhhh! Oscar!!!!!!! I love him. I love it when cats fall asleep like this , it's just like they fainted. When cats sleep like this you can see they feel at home and at ease........
Lovely painting, I have seen it on Chris blog before I remember. I has found a good place in your studio!
Lovely pics Andrea!
hug Marianne

patti said...

That pussy cat of yours is gorgeous! Love your studio and the beautiful painting by Cris is very calming I agree.